- Patient lifts may be covered if the transfer between the bed and a chair, wheelchair, or
commode requires the assistance of more than one person.
- Without the use of a lift the patient would be bed confined.
- A multi-positional patient transfer system may be covered if BOTH of the following are
- The basic coverage criteria for a lift are met; AND
- The beneficiary requires supine positioning for transfers.
Required Documentation for
- Prescription – Written or typed and signed by the prescribing
- Detailed Written
Order – Must be signed and dated by the treating physician (prior to
Notes - Including information why a patient lift is medically necessary (must comply with
- Face to Face
Evaluation – Completed Face to Face evaluation
from physician if requesting a multi-positional patient transfer system.
If you are in need of more detailed information please
click the link below to access the LCD.
Patient Lift LCD